Ingredients for Tofu
- 1 package medium-firm tofu
- ½ cup corn starch
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried mustard
- 1 tablespoon organic sugar
- 1.5 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- grapeseed oil for frying
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- 5 oz hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon red vinegar
- pinch of salt
Note: If you slice the tofu into odd shaped pieces it will look more like boneless wings for the sake of simplicity we just did simple squares.
- Slice tofu into 1-inch cutlets and drain in colander lined with either paper towels or lint-free cotton towels. Place a heavy bowl on top of the tofu, but be careful not to break the slices. Allow to drain for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix flour, corn starch, ½ teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon black pepper.
- In a separate dish, mix smoked paprika, mustard, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, melt “butter.” Once melted, whisk in hot sauce slowly (1/4 of the 5-oz bottle at a time).
- Whisk in molasses and vinegar and allow the mixture to come to a low boil. Lower heat and reduce mixture for at least 5 minutes or until it reaches the desired thickness, then remove from heat.
- Press remaining moisture from tofu and cut into strips one and a half inches thick.
- Coat tofu sticks in spices, shake off excess, then coat in cornstarch mixture.
- Very gently press down with the heel of your hand to flatten the strips. Dredge once more in corn starch mixture.
- Over a moderately high flame, heat enough grapeseed oil to cover the full surface area of a large sauté pan. Add tofu strips and cook for two to three minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy.
- Top with wing sauce and serve with celery sticks and your favorite vegan ranch dressing