The perfect soup for the cold and flu season
- 1 10 ounce (280g) package sliced mushrooms
- 8 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced
- 1 8-ounce (225g) can bamboo shoots, drained and jullienned
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15 ounce (420g) package firm or silken tofu, cubed
- 2 tablespoons (16g) grated fresh ginger, divided
- 4 cups (940ml) water
- 2 tablespoons (16g) vegan chicken-flavored bouillon
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) soy sauce (or tamari, for gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil, plus extra for drizzling (Susan’s note: I didn’t need the extra)
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) fresh or frozen peas
- The Night Before: Store the cut-up mushrooms, bamboo shoots, garlic, and tofu in an airtight container in the fridge. Store the prepared ginger in another airtight container in the fridge.
- In the Morning: Combine the mushrooms, bamboo, shoots, garlic, tofu, 1 tablespoon (8g) of the ginger, water, bouillon, soy sauce, sesame oil, chili paste, and vinegar in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- A few minutes before serving, add the peas and the remaining 1 tablespoon (8g) ginger and stir to combine. Taste the broth and add more vinegar or chili if needed. Drizzle a few drops of sesame oil on top of each serving. If you like it milder and your friends like it hot, serve the chili paste on the side.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Nutrition FactsNutrition (per serving): 208 calories, 62 calories from fat, 7.4g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 1088.4mg sodium, 546.3mg potassium, 21.6g carbohydrates, 5.4g fiber, 6g sugar, 19.2g protein, 6.1 points.
Recipe from The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester, nutritional information from the Fat Free Vegan Blog by Susan Voisin, Photos by Laura Spear