- 2 tablespoons olive oil + extra for brushing
- 1 large yellow onion, small dice
- 1 cup cashews
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (or grain of choice)
- 1 can lentils, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves + extra for garnish
- 6 Portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed
- 1 tomato, sliced in thin rounds
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Recipe By Chef Chloe, 1st photo by Chef Chloe 2nd photo by Laura Spear
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In large skillet, sauté the onions and cashews with 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium/high heat. Season with salt and pepper and sauté until onions are soft and lightly browned. Add garlic and let cook a few more minutes.
- In a large bowl combine onion mixture, brown rice, lentils, breadcrumbs, vegetable broth, basil, and thyme. Mix together and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Brush both sides of mushrooms caps lightly with olive oil and place top-side-down on an oiled sheet pan. Stuff mushrooms with about ½ cup lentil cashew stuffing then press one tomato slice on top of the stuffing.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the stuffing is browned and the mushroom begins releasing juices.
- Garnish with extra fresh thyme leaves and let the feast begin!