- 1 pound pasta of choice
- 1/4 cup soy-free earth balance
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups nondairy milk
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen broccoli florets (If using fresh, steam for about 5 minutes until al dente)
- Cook pasta according to package direction.
- In a medium saucepan, make a roux* by whisking the margarine and flour over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Add non dairy milk, yeast, tomato paste, salt, and garlic powder to the saucepan and bring to a boil, whisking frequently. Reduce heat to low and let simmer until it thickens. Adjust seasoning to taste and stir in lemon juice. Toss noodles with the sauce (and broccoli) and enjoy the sound of suctioning noodles as you mix. If you prefer to make it "saucier," add some extra nondairy milk. Be prepared for seconds!
Recipe is by Chef Chloe photo is by Laura Spear