Better known as Pasta Fazool, this yummy pasta dish is filling and cheap!
What You Need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 16-ounce can cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water (or more, if needed)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces ditalini or other small-shaped pasta
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add garlic and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in tomatoes. Add beans, oregano, basil, bay leaf, water, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes.
- In a pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta, stirring occasionally, until it is just al dente (about 5 to 6 minutes). Drain well and add to the bean mixture along with the parsley. Simmer gently for 10 minutes to blend flavors and finish cooking the pasta. Season more if desired.