6 small bell peppers (any color)
8 oz of whole wheat spaghetti
4 tbs creamy peanut butter plus more for assembly (I used almond butter)
2 tbs soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
1 clove of garlic minced (i use organic jarred minced garlic)
1 tsp of rice vinegar
1 cup diced cucumber
2 finely diced roma tomatoes
1 tsp red pepper flakes
3 slices of white or yellow cheddar cheese (I used veggie slices)
1. Slice the tops off the peppers and scoop out the seeds and veins. Chop the flesh from the tops and set aside to add to the cooked pasta.
2. Cook the whole wheat spaghetti according to the package directions, drain, and reserve 1/2 cup of the cooing liquid. Rinse the spaghetti under hot water, then drain again.
3. Place the peanut butter, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, rice vinegar in a large bowl. Whisk in the reserved 1/2 cup of hot pasta water until mixture is smooth. Stir in the spaghetti until coated with sauce. Fold in the cucumbers, tomatoes, red pepper flakes and the reserved chopped bell pepper.
4. Cut 6 mouth shapes, nose shapes, and eye shapes from the slices of cheese using a knife. A straw works well for the eye shapes.
5. Adhere the mouths, noses, and eyes using a dab of peanut butter to the face of the pepper.
6. Fill each pepper with the spaghetti mixture and serve.
Recipe by Vegetarian Times Photos by Laura Spear