Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Spicy Three Pepper Hummus


I love hummus! I could eat it each and everyday if i had it available. It is expensive to buy at the store, once in a while I'll treat myself to a container at our local sams club but most of the time we make it ourselves. Recently I was in the mood to treat myself so i was browsing the hummus section at sams... gasp*  a new flavor!!! The excitement overwhelmed me when I read the title "The Seasons Finest Hummus" a seasonal flavor! I was so excited I knew since it was a seasonal item that it wouldn't be around forever so i snatched it up and headed to the checkout. Once home i opened one of my favorite chips to dip in the hummus, I always go with blue corn tortilla chips or pita chips. I took my fist bite, a big one fully loaded, I wanted all the flavors.......It was the worst tasting thing I have ever tried..... it didn't even taste like hummus!!!! It had all the herbs and spices one would put on a turkey at thanksgiving, olive oil, rosemary, sea salt and this God awful turkey taste!!! Obviously there was not turkey in it but the taste was there. Now don't get me wrong these flavors are spectacular on a turkey but i do not want them in my hummus on a chip!!! So I took my disgruntled vegan self to the pantry determined to save the $5 hummus. I added black pepper, cayenne pepper, and about a 1/4 cup of franks red hot and stirred. This made the hummus tolerable but never again will I go for the holiday seasonal flavor. 

Now this brings me to my recipe which is for Spicy three pepper hummus. I liked the cayenne and black pepper mixed with the hot sauce so I figured i'd browse the internet and search for a peppery hummus. i came across this recipe on allrecipes.com so we decided to give it a go. My wonderful husband actually whipped this up for me in a matter of minutes and it was SO good!!! It definitely lived up to its 4 1/2 star review. 



Ingredients

  • 2 (16 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/8 cup lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons tahini
  • 8 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 slices jarred jalapeno pepper, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon liquid from the jar of jalapeno peppers
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano

Directions

  1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the garbanzo beans, olive oil, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, jalapeno, and juice from the jalapeno jar. Season with black pepper, cayenne, cumin and oregano.
  2. Mix using the whisk attachment on low speed until the ingredients start to blend, then turn the speed to medium, and blend to your desired consistency. Cover and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to blend. Make sure your container is sealed well, or your fridge will smell like garlic!

Recipe from allrecipes.com submitted by FLCRACKER Photo By Laura Spear 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...